Contact

Patient Dies Whilst Using a Standing Hoist

Lincoln Crown Court heard that the male patient died on 10 April 2012 from internal injuries after falling onto an exposed metal post on the standing aid hoist that staff were using to move him.

The kneepad on the stand-assist hoist had been incorrectly removed leaving a large exposed metal post that caused the fatal injuries when he collapsed against after it after failing to stand.

A Health and Safety Executive (HSE) investigation found the Trust did not have systems for effective training and monitoring of staff using the standing aid hoist and unsafe practices had developed over time.

The Trust was found guilty of breaching Section 3(1) of the Health and Safety at Work Act 1974 and was fined £1 million and ordered to repay £160,000 in costs.

The trust has also been ordered to pay £3800 to the patient’s family to cover the costs of the funeral.

In his statement the patient’s brother said: “John didn’t deserve to die the way that he did. One day I had a brother and the next I didn’t. “

Harvey Wild, Operations Manager for the HSE said: “First of all, our thoughts remain with the patient’s family. This was a tragic and preventable death.

“If staff had received effective training and monitoring in the use of the standing aid hoist this death could have been avoided.”

Jump to top